Spring Cleaning aka. Life's Enema

I've been on a cleaning kick the past couple weeks. Trashing everything with no value around the house that hasn't moved for the past 6 months and DI'ing everything else. It's kinda therapeutic i think. I've also been out in the garden digging up all the tulip bulbs while their roots are still small... those little suckers have been multiplying and reproducing to the point they are boiling up out of the ground. I should take a picture, it's pretty insane. It's my hope to get all those suckers out of there, lay down that black mesh stuff to keep the weeds away and bark it all. The idea is that i can get this all done before spring comes and kicks my ass with weeds like it does every year. I'm also planning a killer tomato garden again this year. Last year we had 12 tomato plants... enough to feed the entire neighborhood, damn they were good.

"Alternative Entertainment" - a green science
I've been looking into this whole hydrogen thing to see if it's a scam or not. After researching it a bit i decided to see if i couldn't make some 'homemade-hydrogen' in the backyard. Blythe wasn't so excited about this idea and as a good girlfriend she took the role as the safety regulator. My roommate Ty saw the vision and joined me in my venture to learn the mysteries of the extraction of this simple yet a little bit scary element. The first experiment blew up. As it turns we learned that it creates quite a bit of pressure, but not to worry, we were safely behind the BBQ and made quick escape to safety around the corner of the house. The second attempt turned out much better after deciding to put the reactants in a glass Sobe(tm) bottle instead of a plastic Gatorade(tm) bottle. Brad Degraff joined Ty and I to lend his knowledge (or the lack thereof). To our excitement IT WORKED! We made a hydrogen balloon out of a plastic bag. It floated around and then, of course, we lit it on fire with a gas-soaked sock on the end of a sword.

Please enjoy the photos below. I will post up a vid of the second part of this experiment after Ty finishes cutting it together.


Left to Right (Reactor Container, Scrubber 1, Scrubber 2)

Give me some candy...

The setup. Adding aluminium and water to the reactor container.

She thinks this is a "bad idea".

Live it, Love it. See the floating bag half full of Hydrogen!

Comments

Blythe said…
I suppose I can admit that your little hydrogen experiment was kinda fun. Pretty fun. OKAY, it was really super fun.

But we should still be thanking our lucky stars that we weren't all blown up.
Ma said…
Easton...At your age you could call this a science "experiment" but it's more like you (and Uncle Carr) wanting to blow stuff up! Welcome to blogging! I added a link to your blog on mine...www.masboardinghouse.blogspot.com. Trisha and Erin's are on there too! See this summer!
Aunt Shawn
Jenny Donna said…
I loved it!! Will you send me that email again? I losted it

Popular Posts